As you may have heard in recent news, the flu is running rampant throughout the U.S this flu season. While flu season is almost always “bad,” this year is trending to reach rates rivaling the last major spike in 2015. According to the CDC, “This is the first year [in 13 years] we had the entire continental U.S. be the same color on the graph meaning there’s widespread activity in all of the continental U.S. at this point. It is in a lot of places and causing a lot of flu.” Southern New Jersey is no exception. Flu rates in New Jersey have exceeded that past two flu seasons with no signs of slowing down.
With the flu being such a prominent problem, environments like schools, public buildings and large offices can become a breeding ground for the virus. It is important to take a proactive approach by cleaning & disinfecting the spaces and taking the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of the virus. If routine cleaning and disinfection has not proven to be effective, you might need to consider hiring a South NJ cleaning and disinfecting company to restore a healthy and safe environment for students and employees.
Flu Disinfection & Flu Prevention Tips
- Clean & Disinfect Regularly:
- According to most studies, the flu virus can live and potentially infect a person for up to 48 hours after being deposited on a surface.
- Consistent, routine cleaning and disinfecting is key to preventing major out breaks in environments like schools or large office buildings.
- Flu viruses are pretty fragile, making them fairly easy to kill when using appropriate products as part of the cleaning and disinfecting process. Again, cleaning and disinfecting needs to be done regularly to ensure a safe and health environment.
- Target Frequently Touched Surfaces
- The flu can spread when people touch infected surfaces and then touch their eyes, mouth, or nose.
- Objects and surfaces that are frequently touched such as desks, countertops, doorknobs, keyboards, faucets, and phones need to be disinfected at least once a day with an EPA-registered disinfectant.
- Specific germ-prone areas such as bathrooms should also be given more attention.
- Immediately clean and disinfect surfaces that are visibly soiled. Be sure to use necessary personal protection around questionable contaminants like bodily fluids or blood.
- Choose the Right Products
- Wash surfaces with a general household cleaner to remove germs. Rinse with water, and follow with an EPA-registered. disinfectant to kill germs and viruses. Be sure to check the label to make sure the product will be effective against the influenza A virus.
- If a surface is not visibly dirty, you can clean it with an EPA-registered product that both cleans and disinfects instead.
- Use disinfecting wipes on electronic items that are touched often, such as phones and computers.
- Use the Products Safely and Properly
- Always read the product labels of cleaners and disinfectants for directions and warnings.
- Wear appropriate personal protection when working with products.
- Do not mix products unless the labels clearly indicate that it is safe to do so. Mixing certain products can be hazardous and lead to serious side effects and injury.
- Handle Waste Properly
- Wear gloves when handling waste.
- Place no-touch baskets where convenient.
- Throw disposable cleaning materials in the trash immediately after use.
- Avoid touching used tissues and other wast when emptying trash.
- Wash hands with soap and water after emptying trash cans, touching used tissues and similar waste.
- Flu Prevention Education
- Encourage students, parents, and staff to get a yearly flu vaccine
- Educate students, parents, and staff on everyday preventive actions to stop the spread of germs.
- Go over what to do if someone gets sick.
Professional Flu Disinfection New Jersey
Establishing a daily cleaning and disinfecting routine is ultimately the first step the maintaining a healthy school and workplace environment for students and employees. However, with the flu being so volatile this season, if regular cleaning has proven to be ineffective in reducing the spread of the flu in your school or building, the professionals can help. Mastertech Environmental is a professional cleaning and disinfecting company in Southern New Jersey. Our team has the necessary tools and training to provide safe and effective flu disinfection in South Jersey Schools.