Getting Ready For Summer With The Proper Summer Home Maintenance
Summer is approaching very quickly here in South Jersey! There are plenty of great things to look forward to in the summertime. Warm weather, pool parties and barbecues, just to name a few. However, just like every other season, your home needs to be prepared for summer. From summer rainstorms to the intense humidity, your South Jersey home could be left vulnerable to a variety of maintenance issue if you are not careful. A lot of people don’t realize it, but summer can cause just as much damage as winter if your home is left vulnerable. Make sure you stay up to date on your summer home maintenance so that your home does not fall victim to any kind of damage this summer!
The Damage Summer Can Inflict On Your Home
The summer rain storms in South Jersey can be extreme and unpredictable. Power outages are fairly common during these crazy storms, making your home hot and humid inside. It can not only be inconvenient and uncomfortable, but it also paves the way for unwanted moisture, humidity and mold growth. Aside from power outages, another main concern during these rain storms is leakage. Your home’s foundation could be susceptible to leaks if there are any potential cracks. Do your best to prevent summer storm water intrusion. These leaks from cracks in the foundation can lead to severe water damage or even mold over the course of the summer months.
Wind is another powerful source of damage to homes during the summer. Rain storms often come with huge gusts of strong wind. Anything on the exterior of your home that could be loose is at risk. This includes your home’s siding, roof shingles, and even your gutters. All these exterior components of the structure could be in danger if they are not properly affixed to your South Jersey home. Summer home maintenance can be the difference between a costly, inconvenient repair further down the line.
Summer Home Maintenance Tips
- Keep your yard clean and tidy! We all know that summer is the prime time for plant life to flourish and thrive. Make sure that any trees and bushes in your yard are well maintained. You also want to make sure to properly dispose of any debris from these trees and bushes, or else, the debris might end up in your gutters– leaving you with additional maintenance issues.
- Clean out your gutters and downspouts. Debris from trees, bushes, or otherwise can make its way into your gutters and clog them up. This can leave to a variety of maintenance issues and property damage if it is not properly cleaned. These clogs can cause water to redirect into places where water does not belong. Depending on where the clog is located, it can cause damage to your roof, your exterior siding or even the foundation of your home.
- Inspect your roof and exterior. South Jersey summers always come with the occasional, severe thunderstorm. These storms can potentially cause a substantial amount of damage, especially if your home is susceptible to leakage. You want to make sure that the exterior of your home will be able to withstand these storms. Any issues with your roofing, exterior siding, or even cracks in your home’s foundation can cause mold via slow leaks. These issues should be mended as soon as possible.
- Service your air conditioning units! Summer is known for being hot and humid. You want to ensure that your air conditioning units are in good working order to avoid bringing that hot, humid climate indoors. Not only is it uncomfortable, but the elevated humidity can cause mold and air quality issues. This summer home maintenance tip will help keep your home cool and comfortable all season.
- Keep your windows in proper condition. Not only will you want to clean your windows, but also make sure that they are in good working order. This means checking for any signs of damage that may have occurred during the last few months. Keep your eyes peeled for any signs of water damage or dry rot from the previous winter. Check the seals around your windows and repair or replace any damaged weather stripping. After all, you want your windows to keep the cool air in and the hot air out. Updating your weather stripping will also aid in keeping unwanted moisture from seeping into your South Jersey home.
Fun In The Sun
For a lot of people, summer is their favorite season. Beach days and sunshine– it is easy to see why. Do your best to keep it that way by preventing any damage to your home this summer with these summer home maintenance tips. A costly repair that could have been avoided can put a serious damper on all your summer fun. Keep your home in tip-top shape and enjoy this summer to the fullest!