Fall and back to school season is approaching faster than you can say “summer.” This time of year is certainly dreadful for most K-12 students. However, the turn of the season is always a good time for some fall home maintenance. As summer comes to an end, it is time to start preparing your South Jersey home for the months ahead. Just a few adjustments here and there can make all the difference, and make your life a little easier.
Fall – The Perfect Time For Home Maintenance
In many ways, fall home maintenance can be as simple as tidying up around the house. Cleaning the house, opening some windows and lighting a candle is one of the most therapeutic activities out there. It is comforting knowing that your home is clean and the sense of accomplishment is very fulfilling. Fall is one of the best times of the year to get a lot of home maintenance done. It is neither too hot nor cold, making it a perfect time for outdoor maintenance as well. Other than simply cleaning the house, there is a lot more you can do as far as fall home preparation.
Indoor Fall Home Maintenance
Maintaining your home’s indoor environment is a key factor to a comfortable living space. Much like spring, fall is perfect for tidying up and doing chores around the house.
- Check if your air conditioning and HVAC unit filters need to be replaced. It is important to replace filters regularly to ensure good indoor air quality. You will also want to check that your HVAC system is in good condition, especially before it starts to get cold.
- Windows of the home should be inspected for any signs of cracking or wear and tear. Fall, much like every other season in South Jersey, often comes with a lot of rain. If needed, caulking and weather stripping should be replaced to prevent any potential for leakage.
- Leaks occur when there is a crack or gap in a place where it shouldn’t be. As previously mentioned, windows are often a victim of unwanted leakage. However, a leak can occur in any area of the home. Some key areas to keep an eye out for leaks are basements, attics, and any area that leads directly to the outside of the home. If you notice any cracks, fill them in as soon as possible.
- Decluttering one’s home can often be an overwhelming process. Trust me when I say that the sense of accomplishment you feel when you are done is well worth it. It’s time to say goodbye to those items that have just been taking up unnecessary space.
The outdoor portion of your home is just as important to maintain as the indoors. The purpose of the home’s exterior is to keep the outdoors, well, outdoors. Make sure that you’re keeping your home’s exterior in good condition.
- Repairs to your home’s exterior are important to get done before it gets to be too cold to do so. Inspect your home’s siding to ensure that there aren’t any loose panels, lest they get taken off forcefully by a gust of autumn wind.
- Gutters & downspouts are easily blocked up with all the falling leaves during fall. Clean out the gutters and ensure that downspouts are secure against the house to avoid any clogging or leakage.
- Fall is a good time to check your roof for any damage, because it’s not so hot that it’d be a safety hazard, but it also isn’t too cold. You certainly wouldn’t want to slip off the roof if there were to be ice on it. If there are any loose shingles, soft spots, or holes, it is imperative you fix those immediately. Your roof keeps the rest of your home safe, so treat it with care.
- Much like other outdoor maintenance activities, it is ideal to get yard work done during fall. With all the leaves that will be falling, it’s important that you keep your yard from getting overcrowded with debris. Fall may be the last chance you get to do yard work before weather conditions prevent it.
Making your home fresh and clean is a great way to kick off the start of the season. There is something so refreshing and therapeutic about coming home and not having to worry about those little things. Feeling accomplished and being able to put your feet up will have you feeling renewed. You’ll be able to spend less time stressing over messes, and more time enjoying your fall festivities.