When checking for mold in your home or business property in Cherry Hill, it is important to know what you are looking for. Knowing the common signs of indoor mold can help you catch it sooner before it becomes a bigger problem. From obvious to subtle, mold growth tends to leave traces of its presence. Here are some things you should look for when it comes to mold growth:
- Smells – As mold grows, it gives off a very strong, damp, earthy smell. If you notice a musty smell in an area of your home, it is highly likely that there is mold growing. If the smell is stronger in a specific area, you should have that area checked for mold growth. If it is mold, the smell will be constant and will not go away. The worse the smell, the higher the possibility is of mold growth.
- Warping – When moisture has been present for extended amounts of time, materials like wood and drywall that are exposed to the moisture will begin to warp. If warping has begun to happen, then mold is probably also growing.
- Condensation and Humidity – If you see condensation on surfaces in your home, or if there is a lot of humidity in your home, then it could be a sign that moisture levels are too high – which creates the perfect environment for mold to grow. Condensation can appear on surfaces such as glass windows or metal pipes. Besides the fact that condensation creates a build-up of moisture for mold to grow on, it can also be a sign that there is a humidity problem in your home. High humidity levels will only feed mold and make its presence more probable.
- Discoloration – Discolored or dark spots on walls, ceilings, or floors, can oftentimes be linked to water leaks and mold growth. If you notice any discolored spots, or areas that change, grow, or worsen over time, there is likely mold growth.
- Bubbling or Peeling paint or wallpaper – One of the most common reasons paint or wallpaper begins to bubble or peel is because there is moisture behind it. Wherever there is hidden moisture, it is highly likely that there is also mold growth.
- Health Problems – Indoor mold can begin to affect the health of all those who are exposed to it.
Mold exposure can cause a lot of respiratory symptoms including coughing, sneezing, irritated eyes, sore throat, runny nose, shortness of breath, headaches, worsened asthma symptoms, headaches, congestion, and other allergic reactions. If these symptoms are not normal for you, or anyone else in the household, or if asthma symptoms seem worse than normal, you may have an underlying mold problem.
If you notice any of the above signs in your home, or if your home has had water damage, you should have it checked for mold. If you do find mold, be sure to call Mastertech Mold. Serving Cherry Hill and all of South Jersey, Mastertech Mold provides professional reliable mold removal to leave your home mold-free.