Autumn Preparation In South Jersey
Autumn is creeping up on us fast here in South Jersey. This year may be a little different for everybody with what’s going on in the world, but home maintenance should not be on hold. With the turn of the season upon us, autumn preparations should be in full swing. A few simple home maintenance adjustments will make the transition so much easier.
Perfect Time For Home Maintenance
Autumn preparation may seem like a daunting task, and you may be wondering where to begin. A good place to start would be to simply tidy up and do some fall cleaning. It’s like spring cleaning… but in fall. Since autumn is the perfect balance between too hot and too cold, it’s also a great time to get some outdoor maintenance done. There are many things you can do to kick off your home’s autumn preparation routine.
Outdoor Autumn Preparation
Autumn is the perfect time to get some outdoor home maintenance done, as you may not have another chance to do so until spring. The exterior of your home is equally as important as the interior, so you want to keep it in excellent condition year-round. Your home’s exterior is made to prevent outdoor conditions from making their way indoors. Let’s make sure it stays that way!
- Roof: This task may require the help of a professional. Have your roof checked for any damage such as loose shingles, holes, or soft spots. Should any damage be discovered, this will need to be repaired as soon as possible. With autumn preparation, time is of the essence. You don’t want to wait until it’s too cold to get anything done.
- Gutters: Clear your gutters of any debris. This may be something that needs to be done multiple times throughout the season, as the leaves are falling off the trees. You’ll need to make sure that your gutters and downspouts are free of any clogs so that water can flow freely. This will help you avoid water pooling and potential roof leakage.
- Siding: You’ll want to ensure that the siding of your home is in good condition. Inspect the siding for any loose panels so that they stay put during those windy autumn days.
- Yard: Keep your yard free of debris, as it can attract excess moisture and is generally unsightly. With all the leaves falling off the trees, you will want to regularly maintain your front and back yard. Maybe while you’re at it, you can have some fun with the piles of leaves like you did when you were a kid.
Indoor Autumn Preparation
With the colder weather creeping in, you want your home to be clean, comfortable and cozy. When all you want all day is to curl up on the couch with a warm blanket, you don’t want to come home to a bunch of tasks. Make your life a little easier in the near future by taking care of these tasks now.
- Declutter: Fall is a great time to go through your things and prioritize knick knacks, books, clothing, and even furniture that are important to you. Donating unused and unnecessary items is a great way to clear your home of clutter without feeling wasteful.
- Windows and Doors: Check your home’s windows and doors for any drafts or gaps. Drafts not only let moisture and cold air in, but they also let out the heat within your home, which can cause energy bill spikes. Quickly fill in any gaps around windows and doors with some caulk.
- Leaks: In conjunction with repairing any drafts, take a close look around the rest of your home for any areas that could be susceptible to leakage. Key areas to keep in mind are basements, attics, doors and windows, and any other area that is directly connected to the outdoors. Fill in any areas with cracks or leakage as soon as possible. If you notice a leak that has already occurred, you should have a professional mold inspector in your area come out and ensure that the leak hasn’t caused mold to develop within your home.
- HVAC Maintenance: Replace the filters in your HVAC unit regularly. This is a good practice to get in the habit of doing year round, but it is especially important before it starts to get cold so that your home stays nice and warm.
When you’ve accomplished all that, crack open your windows and let in that cool breeze. Lighting a seasonal scented candle can really set the vibe for the season change. Finally, the most important task of all, sit back and enjoy the nice weather!