Just like a mold contamination in any other part of your South Jersey home, garage mold thrives on moisture, warm temperatures, and dead organic matter. With enough time, seemingly minor mold growth can quickly develop into a major contamination. Mold growth can lead to substantial damage to your home and concerning health risks to your family. That is why is it so important to take the time to prioritize moisture control throughout your home to avoid mold development all together.
We cannot stress enough the importance of moisture control in your South Jersey home, and the garage is part of that home. Often times, garage mold can easily be prevented if the homeowner takes some time to make sure the garage stays dry and well-ventilated. Moisture control tactics can be simple, inexpensive, and can go a long way in preventing serious, widespread mold damage and moisture problems.
While most mold cases could have been prevented, some mold problems are inevitable. Mold is a common problem, and it can be an inconspicuous problem. Unfortunately, even the most conscientious of homeowners can sometimes run into a mold contamination despite taking the necessary precautions. Some conditions may be out of the New Jersey homeowner’s control. So always be prepared to react in case you discover an unexpected mold contamination.
What Causes NJ Garage Mold?
New Jersey garages can be very vulnerable to mold development. Garages tend to experience a lot of moisture that can easily go unnoticed or ignored.
Unlike the other parts of the home, when its door is open, the garage is fully exposed to the elements. This makes it very easy for moisture to get into the garage, especially if there is a lot of traffic through the garage (i.e: families who use the garage as a main entry point).
Additionally, garage doors rarely form a tight seal between its edge and the ground. Without a tight seal, even with the door closed, water can easily seep in the garage.
A lot of New Jersey homeowners use the garage as extra storage space. There is nothing wrong with that. However, if you are storing items in your garage, you should be mindful of organization and what kind of materials you are storing.
- A lot of disorganized storage can obstruct air flow and encourage moisture buildup
- Porous, cellulose-based products (ie: cardboard boxes, paper products, and fabrics) are especially vulnerable to mold contamination.
How to Prevent Garage Mold in My South Jersey Home?
Address standing water
- It only takes 24 – 48 hours for mold develop in the presence of water intrusion. If you notice any standing water, it should be removed immediately and allowed to dry.
- If your garage seems to be suffering major flooding or you feel in over your head, you should consider contacting a professional NJ water restoration company to properly dry out your property to avoid costly damages.
- Optimize air circulation and ventilation to reduce moisture buildup in the garage. Sufficient ventilation will go a long way to help control humidity.
- If you have windows in your garage, open them up on a nice day to promote air circulation.
- Take some time to organize all your stored items
- Avoid stacking things right up against each other or against the wall. Leave so space between towers boxes and between boxes and walls. This will help to encourage air movement.
- Make a habit to routinely purge unused, non-sentimental items.
Reduce porous products
- Avoid using cardboard boxes. They are a breeding ground for mold, and they tend to be flimsy and easily damaged
- Replace cardboard boxes with sturdy, non-porous plastic storage containers.
Mold resistant building materials
- When possible, opt for a mold-resistant options– ie: mold resistant paint, mold resistant drywall, etc.
Garage Mold Removal South Jersey
If you uncover potential mold development in your New Jersey garage, you should consider contact a certified New Jersey mold inspector to have your home inspected. While minor mold development on non-porous materials can easily be handled by a homeowner, some cases are simply too large for a homeowner to handle alone. If you this is the case, contact MasterTech Environmental to ask about our mold remediation services in South Jersey Jersey.
MasterTech Environmental is fully trained and equipped with the necessary skills, knowledge, and tools to thorough assess your mold needs. Our South Jersey mold removal technicians are dedicated to providing the safest and most effective mold inspection and mold removal services in throughout the New Jersey area. To speak with a member of our expert team about mold services in your area, call 609-948-8844.